Saturday, March 13, 2010

72. The cupboard was bare (1)


Withdrawal declined – insufficient funds. A sharp ping coursed her veins. That can’t be right. She punched the numbers in again, more deliberately. Same result.

She flung her shoulder pouch toward the sofa, as the sunroom door slammed behind her. Her fingers trembled as she logged on. Password, password – yes, yes, that’s the one.

Nothing, all gone, empty.

A dull ache welled up between her temple and eye cavity. She could hear her heart beat thud along her inner ear canals. The rumbling pressure waves headed inexorably toward her personal bulls-eye. She splayed her fingers along the edge of the solid maple tabletop. Her silver wedding band reflected in the burnished lustre of the knotted wood.

She forced her eyes to focus on the harsh light of the monitor. There they were: a solid bank of withdrawals, four hundred dollars, every 45 minutes, from midnight to 6am. Star City, NAB, DarlHar.

A member of the Weekend Writer's Retreat

8 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Addictions of all kinds are a sad thing for loved ones to face. Once again a story with a statement that works.

Julie said...

I confess here, too, that I am not fully sure whether the gambling was done by her loved one or by her.

That might be explored in another Riff, if I can find another logical image to follow on from this one.

Mary Ann said...

I hazard an irrelevant comment. I simply love the point of her toe and the curve of her calf. If I had tried a riff on this picture I wouldn't have come up with anything more than that, so I aplaude you, Julie.

Janet said...

Hey, Julie - followed you over from my blog :)

Love the idea of riff - and your dedication to posting one every day of the year. I love the direction you took - not at all what I would have expected. As your main character went through the motions of discovering her cleaned out bank account, I could feel her frustration and panic (especially the lines: Password, password - yes, yes, that's the one. and A dull ache....

I'll check in again tomorrow!

Calico Crazy said...

This is such fun, I love this little story and the emotions it evokes. I must confess though, that I really do want to know what happens next.

tapirgal said...

I thought someone had stolen her card number. I lost my wallet last fall, and although they didn't get very far with the withdrawals, I could relate to the feeling.

Julie said...

Yes, that could have been a possible spin from this image, but I wanted to somehow indicate that this woman KNEW what could have happened the instant there was no money in her account. That it was not just random.

Grandma said...

Good one. I could relate to the feeling of the emptied bank account. I actually had that happen once. When I went to the bank, they explained that it was due to a computer outage and that my money was once again showing in my account. At least I got mine back. I want to hear more about this story line. Please!