Tuesday, November 30, 2010

334.Flirtatious


The art of flirting had escaped Patricia during her entire life. It always came as a surprise to her when the penny dropped that this chap or that chap was hitting on her. It did not occur to her, to bat her eyelids, and feign interest just to capture a possible suitor. She was introduced to fascinating men, to beige men, and to dull and boring men. However, her reaction rarely varied. She would listen to their conversation, ask questions, exhaust the topic, and then move on. It did not phase her.

And as for tarting herself up to win favour with a member of the other side, she would prefer to walk over glowing coals. She had a massive fear of appearing as mutton dressed as lamb and, if truth be told, she dreaded failure and rejection. This latter was recognised by her friends, but not by Patricia herself.

6 comments:

diane b said...

Interesting character study.

Stranger said...

Is it sad that I can relate to "She had a massive fear of appearing as mutton dressed as lamb and, if truth be told, she dreaded failure and rejection"? Of course you say it better than I do.

Julie, I love this blog. I love the concept and the execution of it. I envy your eye in terms of photography and character perception skills! Please don't stop.

Julie said...

Welcome, Stranger.

Thank you for your kind assessment. I am not sure what I will do with this blog come 2011. I started writing these vignettes, to force me to develop a style, and to write longer pieces. I believe that aim has been achieved, and the evidence is the longer pieces which I post to 'Whispering She-Oak'. However, I value the daily write with the absolute set limit of words. It is like a scratch-pad.

I suspect I will continue 'Riff" but will increase the word limit from 150 to something closer to 250. I want to add another spanner to do with a plot device.

I have a month to mull it over ...

Ann said...

You could be describing me.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I grinned at the Mutton dressed a lamb thing ... in fact I often think about it because my mum used to say that but these days just about anything goes I reckon.

Julie said...

Yes, I think it does too. But it still brings a grin to my face. A very good friend was dressed 'differently' just the other day. And if she could have stood back and looked at herself, especially from the back, she would have died a thousand deaths.