Wednesday, November 24, 2010

328. Life in The Old Girl yet


Francine feels her spirits rise the instant she steps upon the pontoon and sees ‘The Old Girl’ up ahead. She cringes, even now, at the name bestowed upon the boat by her irascible father. However, it was not an issue for her long suffering mother, who was adamant that none of her girls should challenge their father on the name. Somehow, it lends an air of olde world charm to what is essentially a most inelegant water craft.

It is stolid. It is weather-beaten. Rust is eating the metal. The ropes are frayed. They are rough. But it is distinctive. It is unmistakably the property of the McKenzie clan.

The McKenzies come from a long line of sea-farers, stretching well back before their father, Hamish. However, he was the family member most closely identified with the water, so it is ironic that he met his maker when he fell overboard.

2 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Now this is comfortably in the present and past.

Julie said...

However, upon re-reading, I feel that 'lends' should have been 'lent'.

My mentor in all this tense stuff, is adamant that I should try to not mix my tenses as much as I do.

Until then, I was not aware that this was a problem, I was just concentrating on the story, rather than the words.

Now, I must do both ...